Kahler Automation (United States) - Kahler Automation designs control systems for bulk material handling of grain, chemicals, fertilizer, minerals, and a wide array of other industries. These automated systems provide the ability to run a facility with ease and accuracy while reducing or more efficiently utilizing headcount. Kahler Automation solutions control product loadout, receiving and inventory and tie directly into an accounting/invoicing software, allowing customers to increase competitiveness while reducing overhead. Kahler also develops relationships with manufacturer customers as a supplier of Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) automation solutions.
This technical, full-time position is essential to the success of the business as it involves leading, managing, and holding accountable a team of service professionals that directly interface with our customers. The team consists of Field Technicians and Pilots who perform services that include commissioning, start-up, troubleshooting, repair, and system training of control systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Exhibit, promote, and use Kahler Automation’s core values in daily work and management:
- Curious Attitude - An employee who is curious is motivated to take time to question and explore new things to find answers that will ensure the best outcomes for the organization.
- Focus on Quality - An employee who values quality has integrity and produces results that meets high standards, set by the organization.
- Passion for Service - An employee who is service oriented displays a positive behavior and responds to customers using good business practices to meet their needs and expectations.
- Dedicated Spirit - A dedicated employee is one who takes ownership for their role and the whole organization to ensure that goals are achieved.
- Leads and mentors a team of Field Technicians and Pilots to meet commissioning and start-up demand
- Manages performance of department employees by establishing clear work expectations, motivating employees, monitoring performance, and using corrective action when necessary.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions, such as employment, performance evaluations, promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures.
- Sets priorities and workload, and evaluates and improves team member performance routinely
- Ensures that team members strictly adhere to safety policies
- Develop systems, processes, and procedures for business operations that ensure effective and efficient outcomes
- Reviews all pertinent documentation, procedures, policies, and best practices are followed by all
- Monitor cost and overall profitability of service engagements
- Works with Project Managers and Engineering Department to develop commissioning/start-up schedules
- Coordinates with the customers for onsite field work and scheduling
- Manages workload, overtime, staffing levels, and overall resource planning of the department
- Reviews commissioning checklists, service reports, parts usage, and expenses for accuracy and timeliness
- Monitors deviations in scope and communicates with Project Managers to develop change notices
- Collaborates regularly and frequently with Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Finance, and external customers
- Suggest improvements to the process and implements pertinent policies
- Creates and monitors systems and/or procedures that ensures a ‘Best-in-Class’ Service department
- Creates environment of support and positive regard for staff. Encourages staff development through self-assessment, skill development, training, and learning. Acts as an advocate for staff.
- Develops staff by identifying and resolving skill gaps through coaching and training
- Monitors and reports on Key Performance Indicators for the team
- Represents the opinions and suggestions of the team for quality issues and product enhancements
- Reviews project progress to ensure that deadlines are met
- Ensures that team members have the appropriate parts, equipment, tools, PPE etc. to perform their work
- Maintain office and facilities including service inventory
- Participates in stakeholder meetings where required including customer scope meetings, external project kick-off meetings, and pre-commissioning meetings.
- This job description is not comprehensive, and all employees must be adaptable, flexible, and willing to perform other duties as assigned by their manager/supervisor.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following:
- DEPENDABILITY AND RELIABILITY: Performs all duties and assignments whether or not supervision is present.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Expresses ideas, information, and instruction in a positive and effective manner.
- TEAMWORK and COOPERATION: Works cooperatively with coworkers and supervisor. Acts as an effective team member with other employees through cooperation.
- JUDGMENT: Makes reasonable and appropriate decisions.
- ADAPTABILITY: Readily and effectively adjusts to changing ideas and activities.
- ROLE MODELING: Acts as a good role model for other employees.
- CREATIVITY: Shows imagination and innovation in solving problems.
- ATTENDANCE: Reliably reports for work as scheduled, works OT when requested.
- SAFETY: Follows all safety rules and works in a safe manner.
- PRODUCTIVITY: Produces an acceptable amount of work, of sufficient quality in an appropriate amount of time.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience as Controls Engineer, Field Technician or Journeyman Electrician. 5 + years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two (2) or more years as a Field Technician/People Manager in an automation company are a must.
- Familiarity with Programable logic controllers (PLC), Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), instrumentation, pneumatics, motor controls, and motor control centers.
- Ability to read and understand technical documentation including electrical schematics, PFD’s, P&ID’s, standards, and regulations., as well as general business periodicals and professional journals.
- Ability to learn and use an ERP system for estimating and entering project resources.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees in the organization. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, presentations, and verbally communicate effectively and clearly.
- Manage multiple priorities with highly effective follow-through. Apply judgement and company core values to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations in a logical manner to come to conclusion. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to travel as necessary to support Field Technician team.
- Travel (likely 10-30%) may include overnight stays and may be by automobile and airplane.
- This person supervises multiple service employees.
- The person in this position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these employees and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The work environment and physical characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to spend time in industrial plants in proximity to equipment, processes, products, and chemicals. Certain personal protective equipment is required when in the plant or on a construction site.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Communicate by talking, listening, and writing.
- Fairmont, MN office. Hybrid office/remote work may be possible following appropriate onboarding and establishment in the role.