Thayer Scale-Hyer Industries, Inc. (United States) - Thayer Scale, a global leader in industrial weighing technology, needs an experienced Manufacturing Engineer to join our team. This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this job title.
It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
We’re looking for a meticulous, precision-oriented professional with strong mechanical and CAD expertise and the ability to work with a wide variety of stake-holders, including engineering, sales and production personnel. The successful candidate’s primary function and role will be to transition custom-designed weighing systems from engineering to manufacturing with specific emphasis on manufacturing-specific requirements, including fabrication and welding-specific modifications, and other manufacturing-driven requirements. He or she will serve as liaison between the senior engineering project leaders on each project and the manufacturing department. We’re looking for someone who enjoys contributing to an innovative, forward-thinking team and who can always keep the end user in mind. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
General supervision is provided by the Vice President of Manufacturing.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
All behaviors comply with the Code of Conduct & Rules outlined by the Thayer Scale employee handbook.
- Define and improve existing manufacturing processes with specific emphasis on product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling and materials.
- Utilize your deep knowledge of welding, machining and fabrication to improve manufacturing efficiency by optimizing designs and drawings to best utilize existing resources
- Design and specify appropriate tooling and fixtures
- Drive cost-down initiatives in conjunction with supply-line team utilizing appropriate tools such as DFMA
- Create processes and procedures utilizing Lean Management principles to help the company meet budgetary goals as well as performance objectives
- Embody the Thayer Scale Core Values in interactions with customers, coworkers, suppliers and our extended community
- Design and develop new products and product mock-ups working with the engineering team
- Initiate Engineering Change Orders and work closely with engineering team on implementation
- Communicate regularly with suppliers, including acting as the liaison between Thayer Scale and our metalwork and fabrication suppliers
- Establish an effective and efficient work process.
Other required duties and responsibilities:
- When required, provide assistance to other company staff in completion of their daily duties.
- Respond to emergency situations.
- Other company related duties as assigned.
Education and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering required
- 3-5 years’ design and quality control experience in product manufacturing
- Strong organizational, analytical and communication skills
- History of progressive responsibility a plus
- Proficient with AutoCAD Inventor or SolidWorks
- Significant knowledge of metal fabrication and welding processes
- Proficient with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, JIT or Six-sigma desired
- Employee competencies are: Job Knowledge, Teamwork, Customer Service, Flexibility and Work Ethic.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of ERP systems, Lean Principles, DFMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly)
- Basic CAD drawing interpretation knowledge
- Ability to work well with a team
- Ability to maintain Company standards, security & confidentiality at all times.
- Strong negotiating skills re: cost reduction targets set/met consistently
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Good computer skills (ERP, MS Excel/Word).
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, i.e., deadlines, priorities, etc.
- Good communication skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office Products).
- Interpret and apply company policy and rules.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Work safely in industrial environments and abide by company policies.
Physical requirements/work environment:
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations.
- Reading and writing.
- Communicating with others.
About Thayer Scale:
We are an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, short term and long-term disability, life insurance, and 401(k) with company match.