Thayer Scale (United States) - If you are an electrical engineer and looking for an opportunity to grow, Thayer Scale has an opening for you! Based in our Pembroke, MA location, you will identify and implement solutions to meet design requirements and quality expectations for our weighing and process control technology products in markets ranging from food production to bulk material handling. This critical role works across multiple functions to ensure product designs meet the targets for quality, cost, and cycle time.
As an Electrical Controls Engineer, you will:
- Act as the lead subject matter expert for electrical controls on production projects and sales opportunities.
- Produce project documentation, engineering reports, including test and design verification reports, test procedures, design specifications, verification reports, technical and user manuals.
- Coordinate with customers to meet industrial electrical safety standards and codes, such as NEC, UL 508A, UL 698A, Factory Mutual, Canadian Standards Association (CSA), IEEE, Hazardous Location Ratings such as Class 2 Div 1 or ATEX.
- Enjoy supporting team members in a dynamic, independent, and fluid environment to complete multiple projects on time and under budget.
- Have an open communication style to share information across functions.
- Troubleshoot electrical issues on equipment with hands on problem solving and circuit testing of devices and instrumentation.
- Coordinate with the Mechanical Engineering team to process, design, and layout electrical control segments of customer orders according to project.
- Provide complete documentation from bills of materials, schematics, harness wiring diagrams and manuals for custom engineered solutions and standard products.
- Maintain BOMs, part numbers, ECOs, and drawings within an InforVisual ERP system.
- Utilize standardized engineering practices for existing process control instruments and drive packages, and develop new practices as needed.
- Become proficient at programming all the current generation process control instrumentation, including motor drive systems and commonly used electronic industrial controls such as process controllers, counters, recorders, etc.
- Work with the production teams to create and perform electrical inspections and test procedures on instrumentation, electrical panels and equipment.
- Provide electrical support to the sales, service, and production teams.
- Support the sales and service teams, and direct customers with communication support for wiring and fieldbus communication questions.
- Review quality, equipment specifications, and final test data before authorizing shipment.
Other Job Requirements:
- <10% Travel to customer sites on an as needed basis
Education, Experience and Skill Requirements:
- BSEE, Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent from an ABET accredited program.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or equivalent. EDA experience a plus.
- Four (4) years of applicable experience designing industrial controls and instrumentation.
- UL508A MTR Certification a plus.
- Demonstrated past history of project management.
- This position requires technical expertise, leadership, strong interpersonal skills, and the initiative to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- An understanding of electrical, electronic, and system engineering product design standards and applications for different countries. i.e., CE, CSA, etc.
- A strong understanding and application experience in industrial automation, PLC programming, and structured programming including different fieldbus. i.e., Profibus, Profinet, OPC, Industrial Ethernet, Modbus etc.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to manage several tasks and achieve deadlines in a timely manner.
About Thayer Scale:
Thayer Scale – Hyer Industries is a privately held manufacturing & technology company, specializing in the manufacturing of equipment used for the continuous weighing and feeding of bulk materials for a wide variety of industries. The company has one of the longest uninterrupted operating records for engineering and manufacturing specialized continuous weighing and feeding equipment in the United States. Founded in 1949 in a garage in Rockland, Massachusetts and relocated shortly thereafter to the neighboring town of Pembroke on the south shore of Massachusetts, the company has maintained its original business philosophy, product line specialization, and operating structure for more than a half century.
We are an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, std, ltd, life insurance and 401K with company match.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.