Merrick Industries (United States) - CNC Machinist.
Sets up and operates CNC Machines such as CNC Lathe or CNC Vertical Machining Center. May also work on manual machines.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Knowledge of CNC equipment capabilities and preventative maintenance.
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensions and tolerances.
- Strong mechanical and technical skills.
- Ability to read blueprints efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to produce assigned work in allotted time.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Sets up complex jobs on CNC equipment.
- Utilizes knowledge of working properties and machining procedures for a wide variety of materials.
- Works from blueprints and process sheets to machine parts to close tolerances.
- Selects proper tools and fixtures for the job.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Develops machine program if one does not exist.
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining problems.
- Follows preventative maintenance procedures on equipment as required.
- Completes and scans work orders accurately for each job.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Functions in a workplace of dignity and respect for all.
- Functions as a team member and to get along with others.
- Honors EEO guidelines and principles.
- Reports for work on time as scheduled and ready to perform.
- Performs other similar or related duties as directed, assigned or as necessary to accomplish the department’s objectives in an effective manner.
Safety and environmental requirements:
- Accountable for all concerns within their scope of work and has the absolute responsibility to remedy, report and/or communicate any issue to managers, supervisors, safety or environmental managers as appropriate.
- Follows all safe work practices, watches out for fellow workers, and keeps their work area clean.
- Ensures area remains compliant regarding hazardous waste, non-hazardous waste and universal waste.
- The following personal protection equipment is required and must be worn while working in the manufacturing facility or customers’ facilities:
- Company approved safety glasses or goggles
- Company approved steel/composite toe shoes.
- Appropriate hand protection, respiratory and hearing protection in designated areas.
- Appropriate clothing and other safety equipment as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or experience: One-year certificate from college or technical school; and/or one year related experience and/or training.
- Language skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and advanced blueprint reading. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Mathematical skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Computer and software skills: Visual Scanning system.
- Equipment: CNC, Mazak, Horizontal Boring Mill, Radial Drill Press, Manual Mill, Manual Lathe, Hydraulic Punch Press, Small Horizontal Mill, basic hand and power tools.
- Certificates, licenses, registrations: Machining certification preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly (67-100%) required to stand.
- The employee is frequently (34-66%) required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, rotate torso talk; and hear.
- The employee must frequently (34-67%) lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The employee must occasionally (1-33%) walk, climb, crawl and balance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, vibration and risk of electrical shock
- The employee is constantly exposed to cold or hot, humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and may require the employee to wear hearing protection.